2.10.2009

Community and other sentimental things

Community. What an amazing thing. I have realized over the past few years that everyone needs community in their life, and that became abundantly clear this past weekend. It is so important, but more importantly, it is fun and valuable.

What I realized was that it takes very little to have fun when you have great community. When your first reaction is to smile, or laugh, you've got a good one. When all it takes is a kickball to have fun, you've got a good one.

Kickball. When was the last time YOU played kickball? I bet just hearing that word reminds you of the 2nd grade getting hit in the face on a line drive, or catching one swiftly in the crotch, or tripping over first base (wait, maybe all of those were me?) or booting the coveted home run over Baker Elementary's back fence in to Mr. Adams yard. I bet everyone has good memores of kickball. Let me tell you one thing: It was fun in 2nd grade, and it is fun when you are 22 like me.
I played this epic game last weekend with the Boone crew in Raleigh, NC. We were all at a Young Life conference thing and when it was done, we realized that we had 3 hours of sun left. Harry's first thought? KICKBALL. Of course everyone said yes. Here are some memorable moments from our game.

- Erin P yelling HiYA!!! on every attempted kick, fair or foul.
- Blake doing a ballerina jump (arms out, legs spread) while rounding 1st base - and not realizing that he did it.
- Manny literally running over the smallest girl on the field, linebacker style.
- Elise accidentally catching a ball between her legs, no hands necessary.
- Not caring who won.

The point in telling you this was that I realized what a great community Ashley and I had in Boone. All we needed to have fun was a ball and grass. I love that. I miss that.

The other great community in my life (and many others) is Young Life. The Great Connector. Young Life Find a Wife. 6 degrees of seperation, or in YL's case, 2 (doesn't it seem like someone knows someone who knows someone who knows you wherever you go??). Everytime I am at a YL event I feel at home. Camp, club, Boone, Bend, whatever. I feel instantly loved, accepted, respected, welcome and valued. There is nothing like it.

Ashley and I's next goal? FIND COMMUNITY. Find Boone wherever we live. We are trying in Atlanta, but it is hard not knowing anyone. We are trying to get plugged in, but it is a slow process. We want community. We need it. But we are determined to find it.

Thanks Boone for being such a great example of what it truly means to have brothers and sisters in Christ, and for showing what a great community really is.

In other news, I'm moving in with Nana.

Should provide for some interesting blogs!

6 comments:

Jimusik said...

Amen on kickball my friend. Might I comment that sometimes the best community comes from the strangest of places. Follow the monks mentality and treat everyone as if they were Jesus. Love everyone you meet and community will grow where ever you sew love.

Peace and blessings from mn to ga,

Jim

P. Ivey said...

I'm right there with ya, man...I felt the same thing this past weekend in Greenville with all my old Furman friends. It's so obvious the Lord has made us for relationships because it's in community where we always end up thriving.

j.o. said...

Good thoughts. Keep searching in Alph. It takes time for sure.

Go Nana!

Look forward to chatting in the next few days.
Love you.

Anonymous said...

Sco here . . .I love your blog. You have a gift Alex.... seriously. You have a gift.

Jim Ellis said...

community is of utmost importance... thanks for the blog post...

Alex Casebeer said...

Thanks Sco! Just trying to produce some laughs. Can't wait for LOST CANYON.