5.08.2012

Pinched Nerve

Have you ever had a pinched nerve? What about in your neck? Let me tell you, it is no fun. I was working out 2 weeks ago doing pull ups (manly, I know) and all of the sudden I felt this incredible pain in my neck. Ashley must feel this all the time with me! Anyway, I initially thought it was a cramp but quickly realized it was much worse: pinched nerve. This puts you on the disabled list for about 2 weeks and it is no fun. Even a simple move such as getting out of bed hurts - you never realize you use your neck for nearly everything you do.

Time passed and I am fine now, but I did realize something about pinched nerves. They put you through something that you don't want to go through. They are painful. In the end, however, they probably make you a little stronger because you've built other muscles around it. They also strike you all of the sudden and don't let you forget about it.

This reminds me a little of how God works, I think. I think He pinches nerves in our lives. I think He puts things on our hearts that constantly remind us of Him. I think He pinches our nerves to get us moving, also. I have been pinched by God in a number of areas, and although at the time they seem painful and confusing, in the end He knows what's best. Sometimes He just has to pinch a nerve in me to get me to trust Him more or to love more.

What nerve is God pinching in you? Are you feeling the tug somewhere in your life to do something, love someone, go help someone somewhere? Are wondering what that is? Maybe it is God pinching a nerve in you to get some action, some movement, some more love. Because as my friend Bob says, love does!

 Until next time, don't do too many pull ups or you might pinch a nerve. Or is that a good thing?

No comments: